Friday, March 4, 2011

Project 52- Week 7


Week 7's Project 52 theme in honor of Valentine's Day (yes, I know I'm a little behind in posting) was "Open your Heart." I thought it appropriate that I was starting Wuthering Heights in my AP class on Valentine's Day. In addition to beginning our study of one of the most passionate and tragic love stories in English Literature, I made them read love poems while listening to cheesy love songs in honor of the day:)


" I love him. . .because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightening, or frost from fire. . . My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning; my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the Universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees- my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath- a source of little visible delight but neccesary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself- but, as my own being"
(Catherine, Wuthering Heights, chapter 9).

Oh, the romantic in me just goes all swooney (and yes I just coined the word) whenever I read that section!

No comments: